A blog from the University of Borås

Saturday 18 May 2024

Exploring Fashion Ads 2/3

Exploring GSR and Eye-Tracking Technologies in Research

As part of my field study project, I've been diving into the fascinating world of physiological and behavioral data collection using advanced technologies. Here, I'll share my experiences and reflections on two key technologies: Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) and eye-tracking glasses.

GSR Technology: Challenges and Insights

Initially, I planned to use GSR technology in my research to measure changes in the electrical conductivity of the skin, which can indicate emotional responses. However, I quickly realized that GSR isn't suitable for short-term experiments. This technology excels at detecting changes over time, and if those changes are minimal, they barely register on the device. This makes it difficult to obtain meaningful data in short-duration experiments.

Additionally, GSR readings can be affected by variations in the participant's emotions and health, which need to be stabilized. However, some variations are inevitable and can't be fully controlled. Therefore, GSR is more effective for experiments involving sudden emotional changes or longer durations, like watching a movie, to gather valid data.

Eye-Tracking Glasses: Opportunities and Limitations

In another part of my research, I used eye-tracking glasses with participants viewing a set of prepared photos. The eye-tracking technology is incredibly interesting because it even captures details like the participant's iris. So you can see your own IRIS from different angles.

However, there are some limitations. Eye-tracking glasses are best suited for environments with a limited number of areas of interest or for identifying general patterns. In my case, I need to record the fixation time on each object and the sequence of looking across multiple objects. Analyzing data from eye-tracking glasses becomes quite complex with multiple sets of photos compared to just one set. And the challenge from different views and angles of participants made the analysis even more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.