A blog from the University of Borås

Tuesday 3 February 2015

The difficulties of starting the field study



I had a hard time logging in into this blog so I haven’t posted anything yet. Now I post my earlier texts consecutively.

The beginning of searching for a place to work for was so slow for me. I had decided a long time ago that I would rather do my field study as an internship for a company rather than for school. That is because I don’t have much working experience in the industry and the whole reason for me studying here the second year was to get contacts to companies and to make job search easier after school.

But as I had sent several applications to companies I had not received one reply.  If I learned something from this was that not even the most (seemingly) organized companies are very efficient or responsible for answering emails. Not even when their web page says they are hiring interns all the time and are excited to receive applications. Simple and quick “no” would have been ok to stop my suspense, but nothing. So reluctantly I started planning to do one of the projects the school offered.
However in middle of November I got a response from one of the companies in top of my favorite list. They offered some project related to Higg index. Then it took almost a month still for them to reply my emails but finally a week ago (in the beginning of December) I got a call from them confirming and explaining the project for me. 

This new was so good for me for two reasons. First of all the company is producing garments for skiing and climbing. Not being a big textile company but it is well known among the sport. And being part of that scene myself, this company has been one of my favorites to work for. Second is that the sustainability has become one of my favorite subject in textile industry during my studies. The project to do a research on how the company could start to implement the use of Higg index from scratch. This was interesting as being a field of sustainability but also that I would be a part of that from the beginning, not only stepping in to do some ongoing project. 

We agreed that at least in the beginning I will perform my study from home and have visits to their office once in a while. I will start my project now and hope to visit them after holidays to get more information.

To unknown and beyond!

-Janne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.