A blog from the University of Borås

Sunday 11 August 2019

The Current State in Hong Kong and the end of my internship

Hello again,

like i said in the blog before, Hong Kong is in a hassle. Since the Hong Kong government tried pushing though an extradition law (making it possible to trial Hong Kong citizens in Mainland China) a big portion of the city has turned to the streets to call for more political freedom from the Beijing government.
The extradition law has been announced 'dead' but not withdrawn completely, now these protests have turned into a pro-democracy movement (descending from the umbrella movement in 2014).

Most of these so-called "rioters" are young activists and students who fight for a future with perspectives of democracy. (Since Britain has given back Hong Kong to China, they signed an agreement which states that Hong Kong should keep its legal system and democratic rights for its citizens until 2047) According to activists China has already broken its promise, for example pro democracy politicians have been forbidden to run for election) I had the possibility to talk to some young men who seem extremely stressed and frightened for the future of their country, facing terrible violence of the police (called corrupt) and triads (allegedly paid by the Chinese government).
Every Sunday the city seems to be in an exceptional state where streets are turning into war zones between protesters and the riot police. It seems that the police is getting more and more aggressive as the weeks pass. I personally have only witnessed two protests - one of which I took part in (seemingly as the only foreigner but treated kindly by the people around me). Seeing these young people being beaten bloody, shoved to the ground and shot with rubber bullets and tear gas makes me feel unwell and saddens me deeply. This fight seems so hopeless to me, since China taking back Hong Kong seems inevitable. I tried to share as much material of the protests on social media to let my friends know of what is going on here, because right now the only hope these demonstrators have is the public eye of the western countries.

I wouldn't have thought it, but slowly I also don't dare to get near the protest since also expats have been arrested and I can't even protect myself without a helmet or a mask. I asked a friend and fellow demonstrator if I should worry. "Don't worry my friend, just be water. They can't get you" he said.
"Being water" is a saying coming from Bruce Lee and means to not be really here nor there and so impossible to be captured.

I have met a young woman while being out on a Friday night in Tsim Sha Tsui. "Hong Kong is sick, Hong Kong is sick. Hong Kong is not safe anymore." she almost chanted over and over again. She obviously was drunk. Her boyfriend told us that they go out drinking after every protest. She was deeply hurt and obviously desperate, being trapped in a once intact democracy and being disappointed by the violence of the police. I told her I thought I could feel how she felt and that I saw how bad it was. I promised her to do as best I could to spread the word in my home countries. She fell into my arms and started crying.

All pictures are taken from Joshua Wongs Twitter profile (https://twitter.com/joshuawongcf)

Apart from that my internship has taken a turn since Peak Performance moved offices and into a new office space together with Amer Sports (the mother company who bought PP).

The team seemed a little more tense and the tasks I'm doing seemed to be less exciting than before.
The internship obviously hasn't been what I hoped it would be. I couldn't gather enough data to create a good field study and towards the end of my internship I got sick very often, my work as been very repetitive as well. I wasn't happy always. This demotivation I'm feeling has only really been revised because of the fact I lived in this beautiful city and met the people I met. Hong Kong's buzz kept me alive, but Hong Kong is sick now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.