A blog from the University of Borås

Friday 21 November 2014

Concept release - Not quite according to plan

It’s just my third week but it feels like I have learned so much already. I think it’s because of the size of the company. I get a glimpse of almost everything. Yeah, I’m working at a small company…

The brand has two lines - a more conceptual/luxurious one and the other is a more ”down to earth” (in terms of style and price), still with a high quality. Most important, and the reason why I’m so happy to be here is that the brand stands for sustainability and Fair trade. Most of the time, I work together with the designer and she is awesome (the second reason why I’m happy to be here).

This particular week was very hectic. We held an intimate presentation of our new concept collection (unisex) at the studio. Previously, the brand offered only womenswear and kidswear. 
The thing is, I started working with this project - aiming at introducing a unisex line - without having seen the actual products. There was a delay from the production side, so the products came 2 days before the presentation! As you might understand, the air was filed with this substance we call nervosity the whole time …
What’s more, we didn’t have enough time to plan everything up to 100% the way the designer wanted so we decided to display everything, the prototypes as well. Let me tell you, a couple of times during the event, I felt so stupid. I mean, people where asking about the price, they wanted to see more sizes, colour, etc. But, I didn’t have any answer to that, yet!
Another thing, I forgot to take pictures for our press and social media channels … Things happen!
Anyhow, we had more positive feedback than anticipated. With regard to our guest’s feedback, we are considering to re-plan the new collection, just a little bit.

So, I would say that what I learned from this is that it could be valuable for small companies to organize such events before launching a new concept. But also before making a big order. As such, the chance is high that you produce products that your customers are willing to pay for. I know that the production costs are very high since small companies oftentimes make small orders. 
Another thing, for small brands that lack their own sale-channels, especially brands with sustainability and fair trade at the centre it is crucial to coordinate such events in order to position the brand as you wish. Right now, the brand has external retailers and the products are not always displayed in accord with the brand’s identity. 

Want to hear the third reason to why I’m happy to be here? Next week, same day!

Merci et bon weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.