A blog from the University of Borås

Friday 21 August 2015

Everest co. ltd

I successfully collected 40 samples via phone at last! Now I can finish up my report. During my 3 years working in the textile industry in Taiwan, I've always wondered how is the waste treated. Though I got short answers, but it is a step forward. I'm happy I have the chance to do this.

Apart from phone interviews, I've also visited one vertically integrated factory called Everest. They own facilities for spinning, weaving, knitting, dyeing, finishing and CMT. I am surprised their main ideas about sustainability is highly aligned with what I've learned at the Swedish school of textile. They have adopted the 7Rs discipline, which is  rethink, redesign, reduce, reuse, repair, recycle and recovery. It makes more sense when only a day before my visit did my contact point told me she studied sustainability development in Uppsala university in 2008. They started to publish sustainability report in 2010 which is not compulsory by law. In order to gather accurate information they needed for the report, they begin their source management program.

They are especially proud of their own brand which is 100% made in Taiwan. They had a hard time finding down suppliers, since the biggest down supplier in Taiwan have moved all production overseas. Nevertheless, they insisted on their principle and found another supplier.They only have less than 30 workers in their garment factory, and they only sell in Taiwan, however they are still willing to invest in new technologies. What they are doing is an eye opener to me. But of course fabric exports are supporting their financials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.