A blog from the University of Borås

Tuesday 28 July 2020

Part II: Research assistance in scalability strategies used by the fashion industry to increase CBM activities

Dear all,

in my previous blog I described the task and the problematic process of establishing a mapping framework to detect the strategies used by companies to upscale circular business models (CBMs). Having read multiple sources on circularity and encompassing business models, I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible for me to map generalised strategies for upscaling CBMs, as literature suggests different approaches to facilitate different reverse cycles of otherwise linear processes. 
Hence, I have decided to cluster CBMs according to literature into six approaches towards circularity. Here, the most common CBMs support recycling and reuse, but also repair and remanufacturing are being employed by the industry; less heard of is repurposing and organic feedstock extraction. Within these six clusters, I aim to filter sustainability reports according to CBM enablers and suggested strategies by the Scalability Matrix Model of Hultberg et al. (2020). However, I find it difficult to directly pin point a certain strategy being used, as reports merely describe activities taken by companies. In my opinion, a sequence of activities can follow a certain strategy. As different CBMs ask for different strategies, my first step of mapping is to sort found activities in these CBM clusters and detect an orientation, which then in turn suggests the strategy being followed. 
Thus, I first need to determine which activities companies are undertaking to increase the scalability of CBMs, and only thereafter I can make sense of the strategy in use. 

My biggest struggle is to filter relevant information only, as a lot and very interesting information is provided by companies and I learn about projects and collaborations in the field of sustainability. It is quite fascinating, but also frustrating as I continuously come across green-washing and contradicting statements...

I wish you all the best for your studies – but also do not forget to enjoy summer! :-)

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.