A blog from the University of Borås

Thursday 23 April 2020

Introduction to Product Management Internship at a German Luxury Fashion Company

Hello everyone,
It has been three weeks already since I started my internship at a German luxury fashion company in the department Product Management. I am so glad that it kicked off the way it did even though the pandemic Covid-19 is still limiting retailers. On my first day, I was physically in the office and everyone was so welcoming, helping me to set up the mobile office. 
The company has two lines: one addresses the younger generations and the other the more sophisticated, slightly older ones. 
My department is in charge for the menswear clothing (suits, jackets, trousers and coats) and dress furnishings (shirts, jewellery and neckwear) product management. It covers design up to the sales to the retailers and wholesalers. Therefore, based on analyses, we estimate future sales and predict what styles will be sold at what quantities. We are in direct contact with e.g. designers and creatives as well as operations and salespeople. Once new collections are created, the salespeople from around the world usually fly in and get to see and feel the new styles and materials in the local showroom on the campus. There is a digital showroom for one line, but unfortunately not for ours, yet. This has been a major challenge during the pandemic situation since a digitalized solution had to be set up form the scratch within a few days. 
In general, there are four season that are dealt with at the same time, being in different stages of the production process. It provides us with a variety of tasks to fulfil and makes it pretty diversified. 
Due to Covid-19 there is so much work to do in this department and hence I was thrown into the work straight away, my support was very much needed. In the matter of this pandemic, the width and depth of the collection for next year had to be revised. I was in charge to prepare the data for the management to take decisions based on that and cut the collection by a certain percentage. This way, the company might be able to reduce liabilities to generate liquid assets. It was a lot of responsibility which I really appreciated, and it gave me a very good insight in the relevant menswear styles and process aspects so far. Of course, at first it was a bit overwhelming, but at the same time I got to learn so much already, helping me to understand the complexity of the operations. I am introduced into all applicable procedures and systems gradually.
Overall, the company has dealt with the Covid-19 situation in a very professional manner. While some departments work 100% from home, there are other ones, like us, that have to come into the office every now and then because there are many materials and equipment crucial for the progress of our work which can only be accessed on site. 
Beyond, the production facilities on the campus are now completely converted into mask and protection clothing production.
I am very excited about this internship so far and it totally meets my expectations. Let’s see how it continues and next time I will dive deeper into the field study I am executing.
// Josephina 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.