A blog from the University of Borås

Saturday 25 April 2020

Reshoring: the influences on decision making process for fashion retailer

Blog 1/3

I am a bit excited with the course “Field Study in Textile Management” as from the very first I am trying to manage the internship with some company. I had worked in the production country for a couple of years and always eager to know how things are going on retail. I managed to do the internship with the Lindex kid’s department but due to the unexpected situation for Covid-19, it got cancelled at the last moment like some other students. At that time, I was upset and broken but immediately I made myself ready to do individual field study of some relevant topic.


No one ever thinks of these days where we confine ourselves with the words lock down, social distancing, stay home. Seems everything has stopped at one point and nature returns with all its beauty. Not only our daily life but also the world economy has affected a lot. Most of the retails are bound to close the stores, people lose their job, laying off the working hour and ultimately result in sales loss. Some brands need to cancel or hold the upcoming order that has a huge impact on production countries and overall supply chain.


I am interested in the topic “Reshoring” while I do the course “Sustainable supply chain management” as now all the actors in retail business are more concerned about sustainability. Though since the 1960s textile and apparel industry had started offshoring for the competitive advantage of low cost in developing countries and complex supply chains, now the focus gradually moves back to nearshoring and reshoring. In this research paper, I will emphasize on the facts and figures that influence retailers to back their production facility in their home country.


In this pandemic situation, my mind is scattered and sometimes I am much worried about my family from a long distance. But I must overcome all the difficulties and have started to explore the topic. I find it as a most interesting topic with lots of recent research papers. I will do a literature review, for this firstly I select some primary keywords as it’s the first guideline to select the most relevant paper. Later I narrow it down to make it more precise with my research question. I select all English peer reviewed papers published in a renowned journal, as it assures these papers are reviewed and approved by the practitioners of this field which increases the validity and acceptability of these papers. Most of the papers are published between the time frame of 2013 to 2019 and researchers are exploring different aspects of reshoring.


I am exploring the topic further and hope to share some exciting findings on my next blog. Till then everyone stays safe and makes other people happy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.