A blog from the University of Borås

Thursday 30 April 2020

My blog entry about the digital transformation of the supply chain and its influence on the sustainability in upstream processes (1/3).

This is my first blog entry here, in which I want to present my field study project. My project deals with the digital transformation of the supply chain and its influence on the sustainability in upstream processes. I am collaborating on this project together with Olga Chkanikova. The project will answer the questions, which technologies are available and how they influence sustainability. In the end, it will be exciting if these will mount to different challenges digital transformation has for sustainability. The article will follow a qualitative inductive approach. The information I need will be gained by a content analysis of scientific articles. Afterwards, a web search will give an insight into the situation of the textile sector. It will answer how many companies apply digitalization in the supply chain and if they have the same experience on the influence of sustainability like which has been found in the articles.

My interest in this topic has its origin in my latest job experience. I have been working as an intern in supply chain management in a company producing socks, pantyhose, and sports apparel. The automatization and digitalization of the supply chain have been just started and was challenging. The discussion if the digital photo processing quality control can really substitute human eyes has been made. The discussion was not only  made for the sake of the quality but as well the sustainability. Questions such as which employees will be needed or if people will lose their jobs have been raised. 

After I talked about the main information regarding my research I would like to talk about my current situation. I am very excited about this field study and I think that gaining more information about my topic is very interesting, as it is such an important topic for the textile industry. I found now 10 peer-reviewed articles by keyword research, which I am currently trying to analyze. Besides, I have started with the introduction, problem statement, and literature review. Today I will start with the description of the methodology, which will be more challenging. Therefore, I am gaining information from the social research book from Bryman. 

Working in times of Corona has not been easy for me. It is hard to resist all the different influences one can find at home. As well as the insecurity of how to proceed working while social distancing is hard. The worries that my family is fine and the hope Corona will hopefully find a peaceful end is steadily present. But on the other hand, having time for myself has been not only challenging but as well contributes to new skills. Working under conditions which are uncertain and as well distracting will teach me how to deal with these circumstances. 

Therefore, I hope that I can continue my work despite all influences. Next week I will write again to you. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.