A blog from the University of Borås

Monday 8 April 2019

Second week at KappAhl

Hi everyone! So this is my first blog entry, never done blogging before so this will be an interesting experience.

I’m interning as a design assistant (for ladies) at KappAhl. I just stepped out of my first meeting of today were we discussed last weeks selling numbers. I have a lot on my agenda today (like everyday) my tasks involve making patterns with the print group (got my own space, computer, wacom tablet, the works) doing technical drawings and helping the quality, sustainability manager with material/fabric samples and attending meetings. My objective with this internship is of course to learn as much as possible and to get some work experience under my belt but also to gain insight how the designers at KappAhl work with sustainability in their design process.

The first week went by in a whirlwind of nerves and excitement. My head is still spinning but I’m so happy to finally be out there doing something I’ve strived and studied for, for a long time. It feels kind of unreal and even scary, because now I’ve left my sheltered student life, I don’t have my safety net anymore and it’s nerve wracking.

I didn’t really know what to expect, sure we all have some sort of picture in our head of how things work and some expectations of how it’s going to be like. Fashion is a very fast and competitive industry and to me it sometimes comes off as aggressive and I guess I was expecting that sort of atmosphere. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that KappAhl is so so far away from that. KappAhl is a big family that takes care off its own. Everyone is so nice and helpful, high professionalism and so much knowledge and competence. It’s also kind of messy, like a creative madhouse and I immediately felt at home. My first thought when I step through the door to the design department was “this is where I belong”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.