A blog from the University of Borås

Monday 16 April 2018

Atacac

Atacac is a Gothenburg-based fashion studio and brand. They use kinetic garment construction with techniques of 3D-visualization to design, develop and sell their products. Their sales plan is based on the strategy that airlines use to sell tickets to flights: the earlier you buy their products the cheaper they are. The product is made and presented using 3D-simulation software and is sold in three steps at three different price points - before, during and after production starts. 

I have now been at Atacac for about three weeks. My main task is to map out their value chain, which means that I am looking at all of their processes, from design to distribution. It is a big task but what is quite unique (and helpful in my case) is that nearly all of their processes are performed in the same facility. Atacac has an in-house production, their ’micro-factory’. I can talk to (nearly) everyone who is involved in the value chain. 

To map out their processes I am using BPM which stands for business process modeling. Business process mapping and business process modeling have a similar purpose: they are used to visualize how a business operates, the inputs and outputs and the actors involved in different processes. I am using a software to create a map of Atacac’s processes but also to create a map of the processes that a general fashion business perform. This is to be able to compare different business models, activities, lead times, evaluate risks and costs. I thought I could find ready-made process models of fashion businesses as a reference but I have not been able to find any which are as detailed as I need them to be… 


One of my other tasks is to plan and coordinate their monthly market: F.A.T market (Fashion Art Technology market). It is both a sales channel and a community-building event. Atacac host the market and invite creative businesses based on Ringön and in the rest of Gothenburg to come and sell to market visitors and to network with other participants. My task is to contact businesses who might want to participate and also to work on promotional content for marketing purposes. It has been really great so far - I have visited local studios and talked to business owners and initiatives that are based on Ringön. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.