A blog from the University of Borås

Tuesday 10 April 2018

Sweet Home Chicago...

Hi all! It’s week two into my eight week internship period at Dearborn Denim & Apparel in Chicago. The is an All-American made brand founded in 2016, based in Chicago with one retail store in the city and ships to all 50 states. Chicago is my hometown so this is a great experience to link my studies with the opportunity to be close to family and friends. Much of the textile and apparel manufacturing industry has been somewhat obsolete in Chicago, so it’s really exciting to see the industry make it’s way back little by little. 

Through out this internship my focus will mainly be based within Dearborn Denim’s factory. There, the cutting, sewing and packaging all takes place. These first couple weeks entail me going through the basic training program all employees go through to understand the overall steps that each piece goes through until shipped out to the customer.  Once that is covered my task will be to observe the sewing floor and aid in creating a more productive flow for the denim to move to produce more volume than the factory is currently pushing out. 


Overall, it’s been a really great start! I enjoy all of the people that I work with and it’s a positive environment. The objective of this internship for me is to learn how localize production threatens the global supply chain in relation to social, environmental and economic terms. Dearborn Denim feels like it’s the absolute best place to gain more understanding of just that! Until next time… 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.