A blog from the University of Borås

Thursday 25 April 2024

Design Process in the Automotive Industry 2/3

 Hello everyone,


Today is my last day at the Strategic Branding department at Lynk & Co. On Monday, I will move on to new adventures with the Color, Material & Fabrics gang across the office.

These last couple of weeks has been fun, hectic, confusing, and challenging at the same time. If you don’t know, Lynk & Co is primarily focused on China and the Chinese market. It is so much fun learning about a new customer segment that I’ve currently been unfamiliar with.

However, there are some small problems trying to trend forecast in China as a European. Does China use any of Google’s services to find up-and-coming trends? No. Can I get fashion or interior inspiration by using Pinterest? Haha, think again. Is any of the articles or websites I do eventually find written or could be translated into a language I understand? You probably know where this is going…

After several days painstakingly trying to use Google Translate to look for trends and inspiration for future design strategies, a true hero emerges. Ruiqi Pan (Rachel) asks, out of the blue, if I need any help navigating through this new landscape, and my work becomes a thousand times more manageable! We start to discuss my findings (turns out, my translations are very wrong) and she gives me a lot of new relevant information that I have used in my work since.

So a BIG thanks and shout out to you Rachel for helping me through this, you have no idea how much you’ve contributed!

So I guess this week's lesson for you kids is that if you don’t know Chinese, Google doesn’t either, and you’re much better off asking someone who actually know the freaking language, culture, and trends.

See you in a couple of weeks!


Karl Sedeborn Holst


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.