A blog from the University of Borås

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Finding a right supplier

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am gonna focus on collection production process seen from my perspective. I don't design but try to find solutions for what's designed and planned for upcoming collection. The more creative designer, the more time spent on the research, the more fun!


In practice, it means browsing a lot of websites and even more phone calls and emails, which can actually be fun. I have never thought Polish language skills will be ever so handy in my job! However, it can be tricky as well, since I really don't know how some words I keep using just in English are actually in my native language. Oops. OK, I know, but they sound too weird.


You can also imagine how much fun is to actually find a local (German) supplier without speaking the language. Thank you, Google Translator (and my German friends).

During my research, I also realised how much knowledge I am actually missing regarding the most basic accessories in textile industry. Thought button is a button? Seeing just the names of the materials they are made out of already means another research for me. But that's actually very helpful and I'm learning a lot!

While contacting suppliers, you really need to have some communication and negotiation skills, especially when it comes to discussing minimum order, receiving free samples, delivery time, prices etc. But once the sample arrives, and you hear 'Great research!', you know that hours in front of computer screen were not wasted.


Ciao!

//Beata

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.