A blog from the University of Borås

Friday 19 December 2014

Information flow

One of my biggest learning so far has been the difficulty of information flow. Actually, it is a reminder to me since I remember really well how I have tackled with similar problems earlier in work life. Now it is even clearer to me - the ones mastering the art of information sharing actually possess a unique talent.

I have earlier worked in huge, even multinational companies and I have been frustrated with the internal information flow. However, it is not the information flow within the company that I am tackling with right now. The Rapid Design Module (that is a beta version at the moment) is a good tool and it has been designed to be quick and simple to use. However, there is still some necessary information that is out of reach of the company. In order to get to the information I need to contact manufacturers and even they don't always have the answers.

Calculating the Higg index would be quick if I would have all the data accessible here, e.g. in an excel sheet. Just a few minutes per product. This is obviously where it gets tricky - there is not a one single place where you find the information. One person knows one thing and another can answer two other questions. Everyone is of course busy with meetings and work trips and sometimes an answer to a simple question might take days to get to me.

So far I have been quite lucky though. In the company I am working for the people are quite well aware of the raw materials used in their products and the manufacturing conditions. They have visited the factories and their business partners. The company has good relationships with its suppliers. However, this is not common in other similar companies if I have understood correctly. I must say that even though the work is trickier than I first thought, it is easier than it would be in many other companies.

Have a relaxing weekend everyone and merry christmas!

Cheers,
Noora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.