A blog from the University of Borås

Thursday 31 May 2018

The last day or...?

I would like to summarize my field study experience as an intern at a swedish 
baby brand. What I have done through my internship was 1) be to be business
focusing on Japanese market as I wrote in the previous post, 2) influencer 
marketing 3) photoshooting for instagram and homepage and 4) product 
development.

For be to be business, I was responsible to find new distributors who can be
great partners with us. In order to get their attentions and build relationships, 
follow-ups and communications were really important. I was talking with my 
mentor today about culture differences between Turkey and Japan which 
seems Turkey's decision making is much faster than Japanese one based 
on the fact that Turkey just got a big order from us after one phone call 
discussions, where in japan where partnership especially long-term 
relationships seem to be very important, which may cause taking more
 time until new business has started. My boss told me, “The person must
know the market well”. Due to my background, skills and knowledge of 
Japanese market, He qualified me as being good at this position and 
offered me summer part time job.

For influence marketing, I created with others as a group, “Good-Will 
Campaign” where we promote recycling of plastic and replacing plastic 
to glasses as our main products are baby glass bottles. Regarding to
contacting influencers, established common clear messages are important 
to reach many influencers within short time. Otherwise, it takes too much 
time and energy. Also good organization of tracking the influencers
activities in their social media is important. 



For photo shooting, the light is the key for everything. Also as a photographer, 
other people's involvement and interactions with babies helped a lot since it 
helps to get photos of lively babies with different facial expressions especially 
smiles. The color match with products, backgrounds, babies clothes must 
be all considered together with our brand image of being simple and clean. 
As we learned in visual and communication class, images can influence 
consumers emotionally. Such pictures of mother and babies looking each 
other smiling are really lovable and i would like to focus more on “story telling”
for the future.

For product development, I was responsible collecting inspirational photos to 
expand ideas. Then, I categorized them based on the materials and colors to 
analyze the possibility for usage for our product development. Due to a 
shortage of time, the product did not go further but it was still great experience.
I was also involving with a responsible person for product development 
regarding color research, testing, contacting to manufacturing etc which 
provided me the insight who the product development was done with others 
involved.

Within 10 weeks, I was able to involve in many projects where I gained so
much knowledge and experience. I feel grateful and lucky to work here. One of 
the great dvantage to work in a small company is that one can gain so much 
vast yet deep experience and have a big responsibility in your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.