A blog from the University of Borås

Tuesday 19 April 2016

First weeks at Göte David Teko

Dear all,

I am doing my internship at Göte David Teko, a private label supplier and own label producer within the men’s- and womenswear sector based in Borås. The private label supply, also referred to as the “trading” department, works with a vast number of recognizable customers, with the competence to create everything from a design to the finalized product. They also have a department that is called Tailor, working with corporate-related professional workwear, such as men’s and women’s suits, coats and shirts. Lastly, they also have formal eveningwear such as tuxedos and “white tie attire”. 

I have been assigned the role as an assistive pattern constructor, and since the pattern construction involves all the above-mentioned departments, I get insight to them respectively.  In despite that I don’t work directly with the patterns itself, I still get to participate in the principles behind the construction of the garment. Besides the patterns, I on a regular basis get to participate in the measuring, testing and alteration of samples in various stages. I would describe it all as a very dynamic process, and depending on which type of supply the garment is assigned, being either private or own label supply, different means of alterations and changes can be taken in order to achieve as a desirable outcome as possible.

Further along the line I have been given the possibility to participate in other business activities, both in an internal and external context. Examples of these are sales meetings, photographing the SS17 look book for the own brand POUR Home, and start-up meetings for upcoming collections.

As of now I would say that I have managed to get a holistic view of the company, and the dynamics and roles between the different departments. Thus, I am enjoying the daily routine, my assigned role, and fellow co-workers to the greatest of extents. I have also started to gather information for my empirical study, which I will tell you more about in my next entry. Truth to be told I can’t help think that one third of the time already has passed, still with a major of activities yet to be conducted. This meaning as much as I enjoy the daily routine I still have to focus on making the most of my time here, given that I have been offered such great opportunities.

With this bared in mind, I would like to end this first entry by quoting a former prime minister of the United Kingdom, Sir Winston Churchill:

“Now this is not the end. It is not even then beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning”

I wish you all the best of weeks!

J.M Alfredsson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.