A blog from the University of Borås

Tuesday 26 April 2016


DAY 1



At my Home University, hand drawing is given more advantage then computer drawing. As a Costume design student, style of drawing is not only considered to be one's personal signature, but it also gives the opportunity to „feel“ the characters. On contrast to Fashion design, Costume design means designing for a particular character and face. It is also extremely important to be aware of different body shapes – unlike fashion sketches which are more impersonal, with the tendency to fit the mass. Therefore, my Home University does not insist on Costume design students practising computer drawing. I always wanted to learn it, for not only it gives you more opportuinties while applying for a job, but also because it is crucial in order to understand how the garments can actually be made (trough technical sketching).

The first day at my Company, I faced the fact that all the design interns are helping with technical sketching of the clothes – while using Illustrator! It is like I got hit where I was the weakest. I was really afraid that my Company will be forced to let me go, which is also reasonable, since I could not offer them what they need. But the second day, I learned how patient my internship mentors are. The day started with giving out new tasks for interns, and then they turned to me, asking if I would like to learn to use Illustrator. Ofcourse I wanted to! So they let me practise the whole day. I started from watching Adobe Illustrator tutorials, then I tried drawing some very basic geometrical shapes. They gave me a very simple sweater to draw a sketch on it – but it took me almost two days to draw it. Now I really laugh about it, when it comes to my mind.

            After five working days since I was able to do same tasks as everyone else, at the same speed. I bought a drawing pad from my collegue, and very soon I was able to even design patterns on my own! But that is a story for another blog entry. 

Hej då everyone, I hope you are learning as many new things during your internships as I do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.