A blog from the University of Borås

Wednesday 19 May 2021

Internship at [a]industri, post 2/3

Hello everyone, 

Hope that you all are doing great and enjoy the last weeks of this semester even if it starts to be a bit stressful now with deadlines coming up! 

To remind you all I am doing an internship at a garment factory and design studio named [a]industri in Gothenburg and I have already been here for 7 weeks. Since my last post I have continued to take part in client meetings with different kinds of customers. Some of the clients need for example only help to realise their design ideas but don’t have any textile background or need help in the product development phase and some clients wants help in all the steps from initial idea to produce samples and have their hole production here. Beside this I also assist in planning the production and help where I can with for instance printing and final inspections. Because of this I have learned so much about how product development works and all the steps taken in the pre-production and production phases that we discussed in Ahsan's course last fall. It is really all from fabric and trim choices to the right measurements and all the different kind of samples. So it has been really fun to experience this in real and relate this to the courses we have had.   

Regarding my report, I will write about the use of 3D digital design tools in product development and relate this to sustainability. Here at my internship they use a program named CLO 3D where all garments that are going to be designed or produced are designed in this program first. One of the advantages that I have learned so far is how this can contribute to a more sustainable sample production since so many adjustments can be made in 3D in the program, both without and with an avatar so you can see exactly how the garment will fit and look like in a certain size. This then means that less samples in many cases need to be produced and sent all over the world since changes can be made and tested visually several times first without any physical material and shipments. More on this in my last post!

Good luck with your reports and take care!

//Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.