A blog from the University of Borås

Monday 24 May 2021

Research in Impulse Buying 3/3

 Hello everyone,

 

Time really flies when it comes to writing the report! Well, I have had lot of thoughts churning up in my mind, as always, regarding impulse buying and often, I am not hopeful for the near future, if I specifically talk in Indian context and emerging economies. I will give you all one important aspect in this blog from my report. 

 

After reviewing all the interviews, the common trigger for making an impulsive purchase was price. Indian culture has had a long tradition of haggling, and are extremely price sensitive and conscious, which is their weakness, so to speak. All the respondents agreed to the fact that they are lured by discount offers, promotional offers, and any offer which has reduced their price. It is interesting to note that an economy as huge as India, which has high young population, rising aspirations, purchasing power and modern technology, will lead to a consumerist society, which has traditionally been different. There are various research showing cultural tendencies, and this study will throw some light on various tendencies specific to Indian context. 

 

I am glad to see existing research talking about the influence of technology in emerging economies, and how it aids to more consumption, an issue which will be widespread in coming years. Through this study, I will give some insight on such issues, which will have worrying consequences if not alleviated. Extrapolation of such research studies will bring out interesting results, some which may surprise the consumers themselves! I do not wish to make this blog an academic writing, so I will leave it as it is.

 

I said in the starting of the blog that I am not hopeful for the near future specifically in the context of emerging economies, as the consumption will rise, as aspirations and purchasing power rise, it is a cycle which will complete its destined route. It is a genuine feeling, and we all know that it is true, but I am hopeful with the fact that globalised economies and interaction is helping us to learn from each other. This blog is not exactly the summary of the finding but some of the feelings which emerged while writing this study. I took this platform to express it, as we all won’t meet each other during the seminars.

 

I hope you all are doing well, with your projects and health! I will see some of you during the seminars, and the rest of you, hopefully on the campus! 

 

Have a great summer and see you all soon!

 

Warm regards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.