A blog from the University of Borås

Wednesday 5 May 2021

Towards a New Supply Chain Classroom Game

Last time in my supply chain course when I played the supply chain beer game, I felt it quite interesting. There are lots of positive and negative sides of the game popped up in my mind and I was thinking why this kind of games couldn't be more related to the industrial reality?


I grabbed the opportunity of working in search of a new game which I couldn't find yet within the already existing games. From a lot of thoughts I decided to start working on the supply chain planning  and manufacturing field. Soon I started to explore new opportunities holding the hand of several researchers who already has done highly extensive research in this field.


Making a complete game within this short period of time is really really tough. Because while programming the game a lot of areas have to look in. And when it is a supply chain game within one of the most complex industries ie. Fashion retail industry, the number of areas to look in is literally a thousand. It is really a tough job, trust me! And to make it more challenging, I have added several more advanced theme into it so that, the players get a glimpse of the industrial reality through this game. 


I would say, pedagogically it has widespread ideas to convey to the students such as price negotiation, capacity maintaining,  competition within the supply chain, competition among different suppliers (market), keep an active eye on the profitability of the order and how to increase that with a view to give company a sustainable economic growth and so on. 

The game is based on a simple concept: a buyer has a certain amount of order which he/she has to place with suppliers. 4 persons can play the game simultaneously across 3 rounds. Several information is being shared across both buyer and supplier ends in order to have more precise decision. Still i am working on it and hopefully will be completed within end of week 18.

I would be really happy if someone would volunteer to play the game and get some insights of the supply chain practice within fashion retail industry.

Take care!
Saikot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.