A blog from the University of Borås

Saturday 1 May 2021

Research in Impulse Buying 2/3

 Hello everyone,

 

Three weeks have passed since my last blog, and I am finished with conducting the interviews. I am in the process of transcribing a few interviews which should be done in the next two to three days. Well, I must say I have had some interesting conversations over the past few weeks with the respondents but the process of transcribing them is equally tiring!

 

As soon as I will be finished with the transcription, I wish to code the conversations by diving them into specific sections. Few of the sections will be triggers for impulsive purchases, pre-purchase emotional drivers and post-purchase emotions and rationalisation. Broadly speaking, I will be looking at how the respondents look at impulse buying and what are the triggers which lead them to such purchases. I will be also looking at the post purchase emotions and how respondents perceive their impulsive buying behaviour. As I am looking at the Indian audience, I have an interesting outcome from the interviews, which is persistent throughout the respondents, having some worrying consequences if we look from one perspective. I will share that aspect in my last blog.

 

For the next week, I will code all my interviews into a spreadsheet/excel sheet and physically on a paper to analyze them. I have been having a tough time just sitting and reading on a screen, so I thought of mixing some old school techniques where we can write anecdotes on various papers and sit around them! (It may sound cumbersome but helps my mind to stay sane and gives me some time away from the screen)

 

All along the interview process I have been reading various articles and literature and now I will use them to finally support the empirical data which I have gathered. The process of writing report will not be done in the last two weeks, but it will be a gradual process in my case starting from next week. Yes, I will have various things going on simultaneously, not exactly a chaos but something near to it… 

 

In my last blog, I will share few insights from the analysis and discussion. 

As Daniel Kahneman often says that, “There is a lot of randomness in the decisions that people make”, analyzing these random thoughts about impulsive purchase is going to be interesting. 

 

It is always nice to read other blogs, as different perspective is what keeping us sane.

 

Warm regards.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.