A blog from the University of Borås

Tuesday 13 April 2021

Buying and Sustainability Internship at a Denim Brand Part 1

 

Hej, last week I started my internship at a small Stockholm based fashion brand. The brand focuses on premium denim commodities in mens- and womenswear. The collection is completed with t-shirts, sweatshirts, shirts and jackets. During my internship, my tasks can be divided into two main areas, product development and procurement, and corporate sustainability. Primarily, I will be supporting my colleagues in the daily business regarding the product development, buying and sourcing. Additionally, I will be working on two projects. One project comprises the systemization of the processes involved in the development and procurement of products. Within the second project I will be assessing the status quo of the brand in the sustainability realm. The latter includes the advancement of the communication of the current endeavors as well as the identification of areas for improvement. Within the first week of my internship, I focused on getting to know the brand, paying special attention to the products and collection as well as the processes involved in the development and procurement of the former.

First insights resulted in the understanding that in the development of the products a great emphasis is put on the selection, and in the case of the denim products the development, of sustainable premium fabrics. Especially the development of the denim fabric is considered vital for the development of the collection and I would even say is the core of the brand, which is perceptible in the look but particularly in the haptic of the products.  This requires a strong partnership with the respective suppliers.

Based on this observation I plan to write my report on how the established partnerships can be exploited for the enhancement of sustainability, meaning the further reduction of the social and environmental impacts of the products. To do so, I will take notes throughout the internship which will help me to get a better understanding of the partnership. These notes as well as a literature review in the field of supply chain collaboration for sustainability will form the basis for the report.

In the next blog posts, you will get insights on the proceedings of my projects at work as well as how the report is progressing.

Until then enjoy the starting spring.

BR, J.W.