A blog from the University of Borås

Friday 23 April 2021

Internship at [a]industri, post 1/3

Hi everyone,

My name is Anna Jonsson and I am a student at the Textile Value Chain Management program. I hope you all are having a good time at your internship or with your research project/report! It is very interesting to read the posts here at the blog and get some insights into what everyone is doing and experiencing during this course.

I am doing an internship at [a]industri in Gothenburg, which is a factory and design studio that produces garments here in Sweden for different clients and also gives design and product development consultancies. It was established in 2020 and was before that the manufacturing part of the fashion brand Atacac. Since it is a factory working with production that needs to be done in place even during these covid-times, I am there every day and it has already been four weeks since my first day.

During these past weeks I have done a lot of things and I have learned so much so far. The first two weeks was most of the time filled with organising and packing down the factory as the company was about to move to a new location. So I started off my internship by going through and measuring around 80 different fabrics and a lot of other materials used in garment production. I have no practical textile background so it was super interesting for me to really see and feel the differences between different fabric textures, fibers, compositions, structures and so on. After the move to the new location I have taken part in the everyday activities of the factory and for example helped out with garment inspection before sending finished products to clients, done some fabric cutting and been in several client meetings where different aspects in the design or production processes have been discussed such as material choices, samples and adjustments, product ideas etc. Even though I am not involved in the sewing of the garments it is so fun and educative for me to be this close to the production every day and see the process from design to finished garments.

For my report I am planning on writing about different product development and/or production techniques that can be used for a more sustainable production, for example waste management and 3D techniques. Here at [a]industri I get insights into this area daily in the client meetings and the production processes going on so hopefully this will be very useful for me when I write my report. 

Sharing some pictures from a Friday afternoon at [a]industri below and wish you all a nice weekend and that you enjoy the rest of your work in this course! Gothenburg is sunny and the spring is here (no snow in sight haha) so I will enjoy the weekend outside. 

Stay safe! 

// Anna 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.