A blog from the University of Borås

Thursday 9 May 2019

Research Internship part 2

Hello everyone!

Last time I wrote here I was just beginning my research with the group Forest Fabrics at the University. It is now more than a month since I started, and I'm happy to say we are making some good progress!
Last week, after many adjustments, tries, and late night sessions, I finally finalised the theoretical model on which the whole study is based. This model aims at determining the profitability of the paper textiles production; and simply put, it's an array of equations which highlight all stages of the production: from purchasing the materials to actually weaving and finally to selling the products.
The foundation for this whole model is a list of variables that focus on traditional weaving parameters and on some particular specifications made for the paper yarn.
These weeks gave me the possibility not only to acquaint myself better with how weaving works; but also to discover the ancient methods of weaving with paper yarn. As a matter of fact, this is not new at all, and has been practiced in Japan and Korea for centuries. The clothing and textiles made with paper yarn are exquisite, very expensive and, thanks to their particular design, represent the landscape of where they were produced meticulously. I already mentioned this in my last post, but I do feel like giving representation to such products and productions is very important. There aren't many articles available about paper yarn, although there are designers that have experimented with it.
Going forward, the main topic of discussion will be the interview that we will hold with the partner company to present the theoretical model and get their inputs. From there, the research will shift from the theoretical to the practical, when all those equations will be paired with actual numbers. I will also have the possibility of visiting the company and see all of it for myself, which I'm quite excited about.
To conclude, I would say that this past month and half has been very enlightening for me. So far, being a research intern showed me how old materials can be made new and appealing again; it made me realise that sometimes old solutions work for new problems, like using paper from Swedish forests to produce sustainable textiles; and finally it forced me to improve my organisational skills, which will come in handy for my thesis next year.
Next time I write here I should have visited the company, and hopefully can share a bit more about this very interesting production!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.